Research activities in progress in pharmaceutical field:
- Preparation of conventional and innovative drug formulations;
- Formulation and characterization of micro-nanoparticles (lipid, polymeric and inorganic) for drug delivery (Figure 1);
- Development of innovative technologies for lipid and polymeric nanoparticles;
- Characterization of solid and liquid (i.e. nano- and microemulsions) colloidal systems;
- Design of dermal and transdermal systems
- Pharmaceutical technical procedures
- Technological strategy to improve drug solubility/stability/release (i.e. cyclodextrins, nanocrystals)
- Nanovescicle systems (i.e. nanobubbles and nanocapsules)
- Non-viral strategy for gene delivery
Research activities in progress in cosmetic field:
- Formulation and characterization of solid, semi-solid and liquid colloidal systems for topical application.
- Development of host-guest complexes with supramolecular structures (i.e. mesoporous silica-Figure 2) to improve the stability and the effectiveness of entrapped compound, and to modulate the release over time and the skin uptake.
- Interesting molecules in dermatological and cosmetic fields: natural antioxidants; vitamins; organic and inorganic UV-filters; photosensitizers; other drugs for skin disorders.
Main available technologies:
- Freeze drying
- Thermal analysis (DSC)
- Particle size and Zeta potential determination (DLS)
- Multi Flow FFF Separation
- Optical microscopy
- Rheology measurements
- In vitro permeation studies (synthetic membranes/skin slice/corneas) with Franz cells
- Photostability studies (sunlight simulators, Figure 3)
- Stability studies of disperse systems
- Conductivity and surface tension evaluation
- Non-invasive determination of physiological skin parameters (corneometer+sebumeter+ skin pH-meter, Figure 4).
Figure 1. Solid lipid nanoparticles
Figure 2. Host-guest complexes with mesoporous silica
Figure 3. Sunlight simulator
Figure 4. Corneometer+sebumeter+skin pH-meter